- The advantage of online counselling is that it can be accessed easily and can offer support to people who may not be able to get out of the house; or for those who live in very remote areas.
- It offers a convenience for people; in that they can schedule their appointments to fit in with their busy lives.
- Appointment times are easier to arrange, and waiting times are reduced.
- Online counselling has a certain anonymity and may be of benefit to those who feel uncomfortable about the idea of psychotherapy.
- It is important to be fairly competent and confident in the use of computer technology, email, and instant messaging services, before embarking on any online therapy.